Ben practices principally in the areas of commercial litigation and public law. His CV, including a selection of cases in which he has been involved, may be viewed here.
Prior to coming to the bar, Ben was a Senior Associate in the Commercial Litigation Department at Clayton Utz where he worked in both the Sydney and Melbourne offices. His broad litigation practice as a solicitor encompassed property and construction disputes, regulatory matters (including competition and consumer law), administrative law (especially judicial review proceedings), Royal Commissions and judicial inquiries, equity (including trust disputes and injunctions), corporations law, bankruptcy, and employment disputes.
Ben has appeared for individuals, governments and large commercial entities in all courts in the Federal, Victorian and New South Wales judicial hierarchies. Recent cases in which Ben has appeared include:
- Macks v Viscariello  SASCA - insolvency; directors duties; constitutional law; trade practices (led by Declan Hyde);
- a 2017 case before the Supreme Court under the Open Courts Act 2013;
- BWX15 v Minister for Immigration & Anor  FCCA 117 - appeared for the Minister in a judicial review proceeding;
- BZC15 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 1401 - for the Minister on appeal in a judicial review proceeding);
- Luck v University of Southern Queensland & Another  HCATrans 125 - application to remove various proceedings to the High Court (appeared as solicitor advocate for USQ);
- Plaintiff M28/2014 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  HCATrans 223 - appeared as a solicitor advocate for the Minister to oppose an application for judicial review made in the High Court's original jurisdiction;
- MZYYU v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  HCATrans 221 - appeared as a solicitor advocate for the Minister to oppose an application for judicial review made in the High Court's original jurisdiction;
- MZAMC v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 662 - appeared as a solicitor advocate for the Minister on appeal;
In 2016 Ben completed a Masters of Law at University College London where he specialised in constitutional law and judicial review.
Ben is reading with Rob Heath.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 9225 7134
Chambers: Room 3106
200 Queen Street
Consumer Protection Law
Environment and Planning
Privacy/Freedom of Information
Judicial Review and administrative law
Civil and Human Rights
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
03 Jul 2009
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
26 Oct 2016
LLM, LLB (Hons), BA, BSc