Evelyn has a broad practice in commercial, public and criminal law.
She has advised and acted for government, corporate and individual clients in a range of commercial matters including corporations law, contracts, consumer protection, commercial arbitration, employment law, building, tenancy, planning and defamation law. Her public law practice includes human rights, migration law, freedom of information, disciplinary proceedings and coronial inquiries.
Evelyn is also available to appear in relation to criminal matters involving administrative law or the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities, criminal breaches of the Corporations Act or work health and safety laws as well as fraud and environmental, building and planning offences.
Evelyn teaches regularly at Leo Cussen Institute, including in advocacy and administrative law. She also lectures in administrative law at Australian Catholic University.
Since coming to the Bar, she has appeared in a variety of matters including:
- In the matter of Tatts Group Limited  VSC 552, Scheme of arrangement between Tatts Group Limited and Tabcorp Holding (first court hearing) (led by Peter Collinson QC for the Applicant, instructed by Clayton Utz);
- MEG027 & Anor v Republic of Nauru, High Court: Appeal from the Supreme Court of Nauru - resolved by consent (led by Wendy Harris QC and Matthew Albert for the Appellants, instructed by Russell Kennedy);
- F. Ferguson Wool Co Pty Ltd v Mayback Pty Ltd & Anor, County Court: Dispute over settlement agreement - 5 day trial unled, judgment pending (for the defendant, instructed by Nicholsons Lawyers);
- Matsoukatidou v Yarra Ranges Council  VSC 61, Judicial review application of decision to strike out criminal appeal appeal on grounds of procedural fairness and the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities, Arts 6(2)(b), 8 and 14 (led by Kylie Evans for the plaintiffs, instructed by Human Rights Law Centre and Collin Biggers & Paisley);
- Von Marbug v Aldred & Anor  VSC 565;  VSC 566;  VSC 36;  VSC 467: Interlocutory rulings in defamation claim with respect to Facebook posts and comments - substantive proceeding resolved (led by Justin A Castelan for the first defendant, instructed by Belbridge Hague/Marquette Lawyers);
- Comite Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne v Powell  FCA 1110: misleading or deceptive conduct claim with respect to the use of the word 'champagne' including on social media and alleged breaches of the Australian Grape and Wine Act 2013 (closing submissions phase with co-counsel Natalie Hickey for the respondent);
- Australian Democrats National Incorporated v .AU Domain Administration Limited & Anor, Magistrates Court of Victoria: Dispute over entitlement to domain names of a political party - proceedings were dismissed with costs orders in favour of second defendant (for the second defendant, instructed by Aitken Partners);
- Hartup v Mayback Pty Ltd, County Court: Contracts dispute with respect to the sale of land - proceeding resolved (led by Jeremy Twigg SC for the defendant, instructed by Nicholsons Lawyers);
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission v Seifeddine, Magistrates Court: criminal prosecution for breaches of directors' duties - plea (for the defendant, instructed by Mason Black Lawyers);
- Graphic Art Supplies Pty Ltd v Proteus Corporation, Magistrates Court: Contracts dispute with respect to aviation services - judgment for the plaintiff with costs (for the plaintiff, instructed by Belbridge Hague);
- Ron Englehart Pty Ltd v Dimitrijevic & Paul, Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal: Building and defects dispute under the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995 - proceeding resolved (led by Sam Hay for the defendant and counter-claimant, instructed by Millens Pty Ltd); and
- Demi Anderson v Best Hooper Pty Ltd, Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal: Professional negligence - proceeding dismissed with costs for the respondent (for the respondent, instructed by Best Hooper).
Prior to coming to the Bar, Evelyn was Senior Associate to the Honourable Justice Almond in the Supreme Court of Victoria. She practised for four years as a solicitor at Clayton Utz in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team, during which she was also seconded to Justice Connect Homeless Law.
In 2012, she was a finalist for the Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards in the junior lawyer category and in 2010 she was a finalist for the Law Institute of Victoria Presidents’ Award for Best New Lawyer.
Evelyn has worked for over 10 years with various not-for-profit organisations. While completing her undergraduate degree, Evelyn founded and co-directed the Human Rights Arts and Film Festival and is currently Chair of the board. She is a regular presenter on Right Now Radio, a human rights focused podcast on Triple R. She is also a member of the Victorian Bar's Human Rights Committee.
Evelyn read with Hamish Redd and her senior mentor was Peter Gray QC.
To view a copy of Evelyn's CV, please click here.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6612
FAX +61 3 9225 6355
Chambers: Room 0126/127
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Property & Probate
Intellectual Property & Trade Practices
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Building Law & Construction Law
Proceeds of Crime
Health & Safety
Corporate / White Collar Crime
Industrial Relations Law & Employment Law
Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Public International Law
Public Law & Administrative Law
Human Rights Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
15 Dec 2009
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
23 Oct 2014
LLB(Hons)/BCA, DipML (French), DipArts (DevSt)
Human Rights Committee
Pro Bono Committee