Since coming to the Bar, Fiona has acted both as sole and as junior counsel in a broad range of commercial and administrative law matters, as well as in regulatory and white collar criminal proceedings.
Fiona is regularly briefed to appear and advise on behalf of government departments and agencies, as well as for private clients, in both the superior courts and tribunals, and in the conduct of investigative processes. Her recent matters have included large-scale commercial disputes, taxation review matters, bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings and construction disputes, as well as administrative review proceedings and regulatory and criminal prosecutions.
Please see Fiona's CV for more details and a selected list of recent appearances.
Background and Qualfications
Before joining the Bar, Fiona was Associate to the Honourable Justice Pagone of the Federal Court of Australia, assisting his Honour in a wide range of commercial and public law matters. Prior to this, Fiona was an Associate at the Supreme Court of Victoria to Justices Davies, Bongiorno and Hargrave, where she assisted in matters in the commercial trial division and in criminal and civil appeals. Fiona was previously employed by Crawford Legal, an Adelaide-based boutique commercial and construction law firm.
She holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of Adelaide, and is currently completing her Master of Laws at ANU.
Publications and presentations
Fiona is currently the specialist tax and regulatory reporter for the Federal Court Reports, and has previously tutored undergraduate students at Monash University in Administrative Law and Public Law & Statutory Interpretation.
Her recent publications and presentations have included:
- 'Loss minimisation strategies in fraud claims', presented to AIG Insurance claims teams across the Asia Pacific Region, March 2017 (with Patrick McGrath and Brendan Charles of Sparke Helmore, and Craig Macaulay and David Lehmann of Korda Mentha)
- 'Technology Assisted Review: What you need to know in 2017', published January 2017 (with Craig Macaulay) (available online)
- 'Don't bank on it: the rule against penalties following the decision in Paciocco v ANZ', published in the Law Institute Journal December 2016 (with John Eldridge) (available online)
- 'Income tax, CGT and GST on Judgments and Settlements', presented to litigators from HWL Ebsworth, November 2016 (with Michael Bearman)
- 'Hearings in the Federal Court', presented to Piper Alderman's graduate program, November 2015
- 'Pleadings and the Civil Procedure Act 2010', blog post published by Thomson Reuters July 2015 (available online)
Fiona read with Kathryn Stynes and her senior mentor is Nick Hopkins QC.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 9225 6213
Chambers: Room 0321
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Transport Law Admiralty/Aviation/Maritime
International Commercial Arbitration
Consumer Protection Law
Building and Construction
White Collar and Corporate Crime
Work Health and Safety
Proceeds of Crime/Money Laundering
International Commercial Arbitration
Proceeds of Crime
Privacy/Freedom of Information
Judicial Review and administrative law
Civil and Human Rights
Stamp Duty and other state taxes
Goods and services tax
Capital Gains Tax
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
10 Dec 2013
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
30 Apr 2015