Since joining the bar in October 2013, Kieran has developed a broad practice in commercial litigation, including in the areas of contract, trade practices, corporations law, insolvency, employment, property, retail leasing and taxation.
This practice has seen Kieran regularly appear in the Victorian and Federal Courts, both unled and as junior counsel. Some recent and selected cases of note include:
- Alphater Consulting Pty Ltd v Rozman & Ors  VSCA 111 (appeal);  VSC 319 (trial) - proceedings concerning a dispute resolution agreement and the role of an independent expert (led by R Heath)
- Mercier Rouse Street Pty Ltd v Burness and Ors  VSCA 8 - dispute over joint venture property development, trusts, jurisdiction of VCAT (led by M Osborne QC)
- Vincent Crowe v Duncan Dovico (Vic) Pty Ltd - sale of business dispute regarding purchase of accounting practice (settled 2016) (County Court of Victoria, unled)
- Professor Anastasios Tamis v La Trobe University & Ors - claims of misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct brought in the context of an employment dispute in respect of a honorary adjunct professiorial appointment (settled 2016) (Federal Court of Australia, led by P O'Grady QC)
- Barrett v Morgans Holdings (Australia) Ltd - application to enforce terms of settlement in workplace dispute (settled 2016) (Federal Circuit Court of Australia, unled)
- Medhealth Pty Ltd v D'Costa & Anor - proceeding to enforce of restraints of trade and confidential information against former employees (settled 2014) (County Court of Victoria, led by N Green QC)
Insolvency and bankruptcy
- Suraj International Products (Aust) Pty Ltd v Alpine Valley Flour Mill Pty Ltd - application to set aside statutory demand, orders for costs made (2017) (Supreme Court of Victoria, unled)
- Helti (Australia) Pty Ltd v Vulcan Steel Pty Ltd  VSC 192 - application to set aside statutory demand, application granted (unled)
Property and leasing
- Jayasuriya v NWC Finance Letter of Offer Pty Ltd - briefed to appear in urgent application in the Practice Court to remove caveat, application granted with indemnity costs (2017) (Supreme Court of Victoria, Digby J ex temp, unled)
- Owners Corporation No 1 PS 507433P v Igleasias (Owners Corporations)  VCAT 558 - whether trustee in bankruptcy liable for owners corporation fees (unled).
- Fari Isai v The Registrar of Titles & Ors  VCC 325 - application to maintain caveats, allegations of fraud against borrower (led by W Alstergren QC and M Clarke).
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Orlando - acted for director in a director penalty proceeding commenced by the Commissioner; penalty sought in excess of $2.2M; proceeding dismissed by consent with costs prior to trial (2017) (County Court of Victoria, unled)
Injunctions, freezing orders and procedural disputes
- Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Ltd v Legend International Holdings Inc & Anor - acted for respondent defending application for freezing orders (2016) (Supreme Court of Victoria, unled)
- Re Annesley Plant Hire Pty Ltd (No 2)  VSC 350 - amendment of pleading (led by M Osborne QC)
Prior to joining the bar, Kieran was a solicitor and judge's associate. Kieran practised as a solicitor for four years in the commercial litigation and property/construction groups at Gadens. During this time, he was also seconded to ANZ as an in-house lawyer. Following Gadens, Kieran gained extensive experience at the Supreme Court of Victoria, where he was senior associate to the Honourable Justice Croft in the Commercial Court (including during the Great Southern class action).
Kieran is a co-author of Australian Commercial Arbitration (LexisNexis), and has been published in various legal journals, including the Australian Bar Review.Kieran holds a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) and a Bachelor of Commerce (majoring in accounting) from Deakin University. He is completing a Masters of Laws degree at the University of Melbourne.
LinkedIn profile: Kieran Hickie
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 (03) 8600 1722
Chambers: Level 25
200 Queen Street
Transport Law Admiralty/Aviation/Maritime
Securities and Investments
International Commercial Arbitration
Building and Construction
Common Law/Personal Injury
White Collar and Corporate Crime
Wills and Probate
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
22 Apr 2009
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
24 Oct 2013
B.Com, LL.B (Hons)
Also Entitled to Practise in
Federal Court of Australia
High Court of Australia
Assistant Hon Secretary - Commercial Bar Association - Executive Committee
Asst. Secretary - Commercial Bar Association - Banking & Finance