Neil was admitted to practice in 1988 in New Zealand, 1998 in England & Wales and 2001 in Victoria. He signed the Bar Roll in 2007.
Neil has appeared in a wide range of courts and tribunals at both first instance and on appeal, including in the Court of Appeal of New Zealand, Supreme Court of Victoria including the Court of Appeal, Privy Council, and High Court of Australia.
He has experience in a diverse range of commercial, corporate, construction and administrative law proceedings, including significant experience with arbitrations (construction and commodity pricing disputes) and public inquiries in both London and Australia.
Upon admission to practice in Victoria, Neil worked for 7 years at Allens Arthur Robinson as Special Counsel handling litigation in the Supreme Court of Victoria, High Court of Australia, Federal Court and Federal Magistrates’ Court.
Since signing the bar roll, Neil has appeared predominantly in the Supreme Court of Victoria at first instance and on appeal. Neil also appeared for the applicants in Rowe & Anor v Electoral Commissioner in the High Court. Other cases include:
- Appearing for the defendants in NES V Masters Home Improvements and Anor  VSC 1 (Supreme Court, alleged breach of obligation to negotiate in good faith);
- Appearing for the plaintiff in Fingal Developments v Nom De Plume  VSC 146 (action for an account by subsequent encumbrancer from prior encumbrancer).
- Appearing for respondent in Nom De Plume v Fingal Developments (Court of Appeal - decision pending);
- Appearing for the respondents in Altain Khuder LLC v IMC Mining Inc (2011) 276 ALR 733 (application to enforce foreign arbitral award);
- Appearing for the appellants in IMC Aviation Solutions Pty Ltd v Altain Khuder LLC (2011) 38 VR 303; (2011) 282 ALR 717;
- Appearing for the CFA, DSE and Victoria Police in Rowe v Ausnet Electricity and Ors and Liesfield v SPI Electricity and Ors (Supreme Court class actions arising from Black Saturday fires);
- Acting for suppliers of gas in a supplier-wholesaler gas pricing dispute that proceeded to arbitration before a panel that included 2 retired judges of the High Court;
- Sole counsel in respect of an international construction dispute commenced in New Zealand, acting for Australian based clients in dispute with New Zealand and Korean parties (settled at mediation in NZ);
- Sole counsel in 3-week Federal Court intellectual property matter (settled in third week).
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 9225 7801
Owen Dixon Chambers West
Ground Floor, 525 Lonsdale St
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Securities and Investments
Building and Construction
Environment and Planning
Judicial Review and administrative law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
17 Jan 2001
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
22 Nov 2007
LL.B. (VUW, NZ)
Also Entitled to Practise in