Sasha practises principally in commercial law, with a particular emphasis on banking and finance, contractual disputes, securities, insolvency, property, and consumer and competition law.
Sasha appears in all State and Federal courts and tribunals. He is frequently briefed to draw pleadings and provide advice. He represents clients at mediations and compulsory conferences.
Sasha is experienced in the following matters:
- banking and finance including non-lending loss claims and litigation, mortgagee’s duties, enforcement of securities (particularly mortgages and guarantees), recovery of unsecured debts, applications for caveat removal, mistaken payments, and cheque cases;
- contractual issues and disputes;
- corporate insolvency including unfair preference and uncommercial transaction claims, applications to extend the convening period in a voluntary administration, applications to set aside statutory demands, and winding up applications;
- bankruptcy including voidable transactions (undervalued transactions, transfers to defeat creditors, and preferences), application for orders for sale of property owned jointly by a bankrupt and their non-bankrupt spouse, creditor’s petitions, and applications to annul bankruptcy;
- property issues and disputes including sale of land (e.g. “off the plan” sales), leases and caveats;
- misleading, deceptive or unconscionable conduct; and
- unjust enrichment and fiduciary duties including restitution of misappropriated funds.
Before joining the Bar, Sasha was a commercial litigation solicitor at HWL Ebsworth and Piper Alderman, acting for major banks, insolvency practitioners, the Insolvency and Trustee Service Australia (ITSA), private companies and individuals. During his time at Piper Alderman, Sasha undertook a secondment with ANZ Bank as a Corporate Lawyer in its Dispute Resolution Group.
Sasha has completed the Insolvency Practitioners Association of Australia Insolvency Education Program, obtaining Distinctions. For 10 years, he updated the “Debts” chapter of The Law Handbook published by the Fitzroy Legal Service.
Sasha is a member of the Commercial Bar Association of Victoria and the Law Institute of Victoria.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 9225 6379
Chambers: Room 1504
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Securities and Investments
Consumer Protection Law
Common Law/Personal Injury
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
26 Apr 2005
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
25 Oct 2012
BCom, LLB (Hons) (Melb)
Also Entitled to Practise in
Federal Court of Australia
High Court of Australia